Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A card for my Grammy

My grandmother is one of the few people who regularly corresponds with me by snail mail & I "owe" her a letter. In fact, bad granddaughter that I am, I've owed her a letter for a while but wanted to send a handmade one rather than store-bought & it's taken me forever to get around to it. I know she'll appreciate the time spent on it so I'm pretty sure she'll forgive my flakiness! At least I hope so :)

The whole color scheme for this card started from the watering can/flower ribbon; it's not a color combo that I'd use all the time but I do like it. I wanted to make this card a little 3-D, so I popped the flower w/ some foamies. Now I'm wondering if I should've popped the whole image but it's glued down now - too late! Something to try next time I guess.

I've entered this card in a few challenges as well: I used the sketch from PaperPlay Challenges - by Mandy - for challenge #31. Cute Card Thursday had the theme 'Lazy Days' this week for a summer themed card. Nothing says summer like flowers & gardening! Stamptacular Sunday is a 3-D challenge; I know it's only a tiny bit of 3-D so I'm not sure if it qualifies, but I thought I'd try anyway. Finally, Crafty Cardmakers challenge for this week is Complimentary Colors - check out their color wheel lesson, it gave me some ideas for future combinations.

The orange cardstock is very lightly textured & I ran the 3 blue rectangles through my Cuttlebug in a flowered embossing folder. Image is stamped on white cardstock & colored with colored pencils. I cut out the flower & popped it with foamies for a 3-D effect. Haven't got up the nerve to try decorating the inside yet so it's completely blank.


Front


Trying to show the 3-D aspect




A close-up



Supplies used:

Papers from my stash
Stamp by Penny Black
Ribbon from the $1 bin at Michael's
Dew Drops from The Robin's Nest
...........................................................................................................
Some goodies!!!!!

Moni is celebrating the 1 yr anniversary of Everybody-Art-Challenge by giving away some stamped images, ribbons, & more. Closes Aug. 31.

Sassy Designs
is giving away 100 stamped images to their followers - this is another challenge blog I just stumbled onto. Closes Sept. 27.

Carolyn has a massive assortment for her blog candy! Check out the inside of her cards - maybe she'll give me some ideas. Closes Sept. 22.

I just found Ingvild's blog the other day & had to become a follower right away - she has a romantic, victorian style that I just love. And her candy is fabulous! Closes Sept. 30.

Jo has new Basic Grey papers & more in her blog candy. Closes Sept. 5.

Maria's candy is a huge assortment of goodies including stamps, ribbons, & more. Closes Aug. 31.

Emma's celebrating her blogoversary with a beautiful array of images, embellishments, & more. Closes Aug. 31.

Erika is giving away some goodies from her stash. Check out her CHA pictures too - I'm jealous! Closes Aug. 29.

Vivi is celebrating 100 posts by giving away 100 Tilda images! I want to win this one! She does quilling - something I want to try........ Closes Aug. 30.

20 comments:

  1. Great card Janet, love the sweet image. Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really beautiful Janet - your Grandmother will love it I am sure. Thanks for joining in with us on Cute Card Thursday. Lol Lynn ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card Janet, looks fine just 3d'ing the flowers. Thanks for joining us at crafty cardmakers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card Janet, such a sweet image!

    Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers :o) Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card Janet, i just love the dimension, and the image is so sweet!

    Fern xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a super cute image! Thanks for playing SSC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cutie card well done, thanks for joining the challenge.
    Julie
    DT craftycardmakers

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely card, Janet. I love the clean look you've given it, and the way the flower sticks out and down from the circle. Gorgeous.

    Thank you for joining us on PaperPlay this week.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card, I love the 3-d work. Thanks for joining us at SSC.

    Liza x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello - beautiful blog - thanks so much for sharing ! Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  11. brilliant card, thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely card, love the sweet image and LO.

    Thanks for joining us this week at SSC.

    Joanne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how the flower hangs out from the main image. Very pretty! Thanks for joining us at SSC:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Janet,
    Fabulous card! I love the colours!
    Thank you for entering my blog candy. While I'm here, I'll let you know about a new challenge blog starting soon called Crafty Calendar Challenge and there is a DT Call going on there if you fancy entering. :)
    Georgia x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your card is lovely ... thanks for sharing it with us!! Thanks also for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment! I'm glad my poppy creation brought back fond memories for you! I hope you stop back again!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card, love your choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely card, I'm sure your grandmother will love this card! I'm so glad you could join us this week at the Stamptacular Sunday Challenge!
    Pleasantly,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a sweet card! I love the image and the background embossing is perfect!
    Thanks so much for joining us at SSC this week!
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute card ;0)
    Thanks for joining us at SSC

    Janneke X

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cute card, I'm sure your Grand will love it! Hat's off to you for incorporating soooo many challenges ! Your blog has a "wealth" of info,I'll be back soon,.....thanks for popping by mine. :o) Tracy

    ReplyDelete